Recently I read an article regarding “Radical Money Saving Ideas” like moving to the country, raising livestock, and eating off the dollar menu.
Here are a few radical ideas that military families could try and actually have a huge impact on their bottom line.
- Live car free.
- Rent a smaller place, or live in on-base housing.
- Shop in the commissary and use coupons wisely.
- Never pay for membership in a health club.
- Cancel cable, Internet access, local phone, magazine subscriptions but sign up for the local newspaper (Clip the coupons and read the local events calendars..
- Get free stuff (corollary: give stuff away).
- Travel by military transport (but only where you can stay cheap!)
- Grow a garden.
- Take care of what you own.
- Give gifts of time, interest, and caring.
- Avoid shopping as past-times.
- Serve meat as a side-dish…three times a week (max).
- Purchase necessary insurance…but don’t go overboard.
- Create, use, and improve your budget.
- Cook. Eat less, save the leftovers.
- Turn down the heat on your hot water heater and insulate the tank.
- Lower the thermostat in winter, raise it in the summer, turn it off when you don’t need it.
- Use electric appliances like you were off the grid.
- Sell the toys. You know what I’m talking about.
- Don’t pay for banking. Check out free options with ATM fee returns.
Post your ideas as comments.